Saturday, April 12, 2008

Melbourne Beggers

I have been wanting to write this for a very long time now. Finally my exams are over and i can sit and write about the two Melbourne Beggers i know. Beggers in Melbourne sounds weird isn't it ?? when the Australian government takes care of all the poor and those who are less fortunate! But this government cannot do much about these two beggers. These two being me Apeksha and Melanie. Let me tell you something about Melanie first.Melanie Evelyn Pereria is an interior designer, who studies in Swinburne University. She is extremely hard working and passionate towards her work. She has a dream of becoming really rich, happy and successful and live in NY city like Sarah Jessica Parker ( Sex and the City ).She is one of the closest friends i have in Melbourne.
This blog is our survival story.
I work at Mc Donalds to support myself in Melbourne. But as the semester to an end and exams and submissions came closer I decided to take some time off and concentrate on my studies.This meant no source of income. There came a time in October when we had no food in the house and absolutely no money.Believe me we couldn't afford anything.Our bank balance was 0 AUD. The only thing we had was a roof on our head which we call home.The house has nothing except for beds, a very old fridge that leaks to glory everytime it wants to defrosts and few tables and chairs. I will never forget the night when we were very hungry and we didn't have anything to eat in the house.We didn't even have the basic groceries like milk, biscuits or any veggies. We decided to go off to sleep in that state only but our stomachs and the hunger didnt let us sleep. I opened the fridge which looked empty to hunt for something to eat. All i could find is 6-7 days old bread, that too 3-4 slices. I decided to eat that. I got it for Melanie also and she said " I dont want, I like my bread toasted !!! " and i told her " Shutup and eat this, Beggers cant be choosers !! " That very moment we realized that we were actually living like beggers. We know how a begger would actually feel when he sees people wine and dine at these fine restraunts and cafe's. Everytime we walked on the road that week and saw people enjoy their food we just looked at each other and didn't say a word. Everytime we saw pictures of mouth watering pizza's and pasta's our stomach's would make that funny hungry noise. But we still didn't lose hope and faith in god.We were still happy and knew that this phase will pass soon and we would have money. Then came tuesday and i got paid for my work at mc donalds, which was just 70 AUD cause i had worked only for 1 day. But it felt as if i had 70,000AUD. We went to Victoria market and bought fruits and vegetables.We got all the food that we would possibly need with 30 AUD. We cooked and ate to glory !!!!
I have never faced a time like that in my life before.Never in my life i had to think about food and how to get food on the table, all thanx to my lovely parents. Parents work day and night and put in all that they have to make our lives secured.They have made my life so easy and gave me everything i have asked for. But I take that week as a good lesson. Now I love and respect them even more.

No comments: